Search This ...

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lisa Pure Interview... October 2011

 

lp2

Artist Lisa Pure Question and Answers...

"I can't just sit back and wait for things to happen, I MAKE them happen".  ~Lisa Pure

1. To help those that my not know of you yet... who is Lisa Pure the artist? The Person?

I'm a recording artist/songwriter/dancer from the NY area.  I am very passionate about dance music.  I've been singing in public since the 4th grade, wrote my first song and performed it in the 7th grade called "Broken Heart".  I would certainly say that started my writing based on love and relationships and my songs to this day often are about that!!!  My first single was recorded about 12 yrs ago called "Rainfalls", was again released in 2010.  I would say most people know me best for the vocals on Roger Sanchez's "Lost", which was released in 2004. 

2. As busy as you have been, are continuing to be, what motivates you to keep going day after day? 

My main source of motivation is the love i have for dance music and my fans!  I've had plenty of dark days in my life where I've thought that I  should just pack it in and just focus on something else.  Getting older, having family and life just putting pressure on me can make doubt settle in.  I went through an abusive relationship and so many crazy situations that I really hit rock bottom at one point and had to turn my life around!  I realized I could never turn my back on music.  It's a part of me, part of who I am and will forever be a legacy that I will leave behind after I'm gone

3. Who are your musical influences?... whether they be artists, DJ's, producers, etc...

Many of my influences come from the DJ's I go listen to and I listen to pop/r&b/rap/rock.  I love all types of music but house is my fav.  Early on, Motown and then Disco, Freestyle and Dance shaped my style.  I love high energy music but I def love soulful heart-wrenching vocals.  Mariah, Whitney, Michael & Janet, Madonna, Kristine W, Jocelyn Brown, Inaya Day, Suzanne Palmer, Alicia Keys, Shawnee Taylor, Joi Cardwell, Julie McKnight, there's so many artists out there that I enjoy and respect.  My fav DJ's are Roger Sanchez, David Morales, Oscar G, Danny Tenaglia, Erick Morillo, Tom Stephan, Junior Vasquez and Jonathan Peters influenced me so much in early days. 

4. And lastly, what can we expect from you in the future?

In the future, you can expect alot of new music and eventually a solo album.  Touring is important to me, so I want to continue doing that and get back to Europe/Asia/Central America, etc.  Having the opportunity to connect with people around the globe is invaluable.  It centered me and I think made me a more relaxed person.  I've seen alot of less fortunate people and it makes me think twice about stressing over trivial things.  I think I am very lucky to be who I am and have the life that i've lived.  The dark days made me stronger and I feel like I'm content with life in general.  When I first started my music career my biggest dream was to get one record out and I would achieve my biggest dream.  I did that, and SO much more that everything after that point was icing on the cake.  I could die today and be happy with my life.

Here’s a sample of Lisa Pure’s sound:

Todd Terry & Lisa Pure "Sunshine" (Bikini EDIT) Click Here

 

Full Info on Lisa Pure…

I'm a recording artist/songwriter/dancer from the NY area.  I am very passionate about dance music.  I've been singing in public since the 4th grade, wrote my first song and performed it in the 7th grade called "Broken Heart".  I would certainly say that started my writing based
on love and relationships and my songs to this day often are about that!!!  My first single was recorded about 12 yrs ago called "Rainfalls", was again released in 2010.  I would say most people know me best for the vocals on Roger Sanchez's "Lost", which was released in 2004.  This song will be reborn again next year with new mixes!  "Lost" is an emotional song that resonates with most people and I get a tremendous amount of fan mail still to this day about it.  Roger and I are both very excited about re-releasing this!! 

In 2005, I was nominated for "Best New Artist (solo)" at the WMC / IDMA's.  I did not win but it was a HUGE honor to be recognized.  "Lost" ended up hitting #1 on Billboard that year too so, it was a big year for me. 

Dancing, I would say, is just as important to me as singing.  I absolutely love it, it's been a part of my life since I was very young.  My mom was a dance instructor, even made the Rockette's and she sang opera.  So, from the time i was little, music was a part of my life.  Most of
my childhood memories are of me and my family dancing in the kitchen while my dad played his vinyl records in the dining room.  Motown was always popular in my house and when my oldest sister (ten yrs older than me) started going out to NYC clubs and listening to dance music, that became my favorite style.  I would definitely say that soulful vocals merged with dance beats became my primary focus! 

I danced on MTV back in the late 1990s/early 2000s, work as a go-go dancer and a club promoter and started meeting a ton of dance industry.  DJs, producers, promoters.  Eventually I met the right people who were interested in getting a singer for their project and I ended up moving to NYC into the recording studio with them and "Rainfalls" was born.  After that, I went back to the record label and asked if I could record one of my own originals and then "I'm Over You" was released around 2001.  From that point, I was introduced to Roger Sanchez after he signed "Walkin" to his label, "Stealth".  I met him at the WMC that year and he asked me to be a part of his upcoming album.  We met up at his studio a short time later and then our first single we recorded was actually "Lost".  That was the last of our projects that actually came out years later, ironically enough!  Roger and I have a great chemistry in the studio and it's an absolute joy to work with him.  I joined him on the
Heineken Thirst Tour and we toured the globe with other artists and DJ's such as Erick Morillo, Shawnee Taylor, Freak, GTO, Steve Lawler, Sander Kleinenberg, just to name a few.  What an amazing journey. 

SInce the release of "Lost", I've been collaborating with a lot of talented DJs/Producers.  David Morales, Todd Terry, Oscar G, Tom Stephan (SuperChumbo) and am really blessed to say that the amount of work that I am continually receiving is tremendous.  Many of my influences come from the DJ's I go listen to and I listen to pop/r&b/rap/rock.  I love all types of music but house is my fav.  Early on, Motown and then Disco, Freestyle and Dance shaped my style.  I love high energy music but I def love soulful heart-wrenching vocals.  Mariah, Whitney,
Michael & Janet, Madonna, Kristine W, Jocelyn Brown, Inaya Day, Suzanne Palmer, Alicia Keys, Shawnee Taylor, Joi Cardwell, Julie McKnight, there's so many artists out there that I enjoy and respect.  My fav DJ's are Roger Sanchez, David Morales, Oscar G, Danny Tenaglia, Erick Morillo, Tom Stephan, Junior Vasquez and Jonathan Peters influenced me so much in early days.  You can still catch me out on the dancefloor rippin it in the circles with the kids from time to time.  I definitely love going out and listening to them and dancing!  I definitely admire David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Afrojack, Fedde Le Grand, Chus & Ceballos.  Dance music is creeping into Pop more in the US and I'm loving that.  I really hope it continues to grow and that artists not just the DJ's begin to get more recognition as well.  That's a constant battle for us in dance music. 

My main source of motivation is the love i have for dance music and my fans!  I've had plenty of dark days in my life where I've thought that I  should just pack it in and just focus on something else.  Getting older, having family and life just putting pressure on me can make doubt settle in.  I went through an abusive relationship and so many crazy situations that I really hit rock bottom at one point and had to turn my life around!  I realized I could never turn my back on music.  It's a part of me, part of who I am and will forever be a legacy that I will leave behind after I'm gone.   

I worked for 15 years as an Executive Assistant, mainly in the Financial world, while I have been working on my music career.   I've always had another career at the same time as my music.  This business is very difficult to solely support yourself.  I'm an extremely hard-working person. 
I can't just sit back and wait for things to happen, I MAKE them happen.  All my social networking, website, bookings, promotions are by ME, so I'm constantly working on something.  I'm also taking Real Estate classes and working on a new career in that business.  I'm definitely a GO-getter!!!  I can't sit still :)   I believe that being busy and getting involved in life you can derive more inspiration for writing and life is too short to not make the most of the time you have here.  I push myself and try to be the best I can be.  I have a phrase that I use "Balls in the Air" -- that means I have a ton of projects and opportunities (Balls) that I throw up to work on.  It's inevitable that some fall and you have to pick them back up again and throw them up and some you catch and they get completed.  It's impossible to do everything perfect.  You can't KILL yourself and have to enjoy your life.  It's a crazy balancing act, juggling everything but I do it the best that I can!

In the future, you can expect alot of new music and eventually a solo album.  Touring is important to me, so I want to continue doing that and get back to Europe/Asia/Central America, etc.  Having the opportunity to connect with people around the globe is invaluable.  It centered me and I think made me a more relaxed person.  I've seen alot of less fortunate people and it makes me think twice about stressing over trivial things.  I think I am very lucky to be who I am and have the life that i've lived.  The dark days made me stronger and I feel like I'm content with life in general.  When I first started my music career my biggest dream was to get one record out and I would achieve my biggest dream.  I did that, and SO much more that everything after that point was icing on the cake.  I could die today and be happy with my life. 

I would love to have my own family in the future.  Balancing everything I do made that the furthest thing in my mind but I definitely would like to get married and have a child before it's too late!  I don't want to miss out on that because I've been so focused on work.

No comments:

Post a Comment